I can be better.

    I was going to come up with a good excuse as to why I’m a week behind on my blogs relating to advent, but it would be just that—and excuse–so I won’t waste your time. Truth is, life happens and the time keeps on rolling, even if you’ve still got stuff left on your to-do list.
    Last week, the first Sunday of advent, represented hope. I was all set to write about the hope that Jesus gives to us. Hope for a better tomorrow, hope for eternal life. But then it got personal for me, and I was inspired.
    Y’all, this weekend, at the Christmas parade of all places, some dude came for me. Like was nasty to me, called me the b-word and was just a downright Grinch. And did I respond like the kind, loving person that I generally am to people? No. I sure didn’t. I ended up dropping to just shy of his level and I’ve thought about it ever since. Half of me is disappointed because I thought of a way better comeback later, and the other half is disappointed because I know I’m better than how I chose to respond. For someone who preaches to extend kindness in every situation, I certainly failed in that. But I got to thinking about it, and guys, this is why I need Jesus in my life. I need a role model and example to live up to. And I’m going to fall short always, but sometimes, like Saturday, I’m going to fall waaaaaaaaay short. But I can keep working at it. I can pray for help with it; I can HOPE that the next time someone hands me a situation like this, I can respond in a much kinder way than I did today.
    I imagine Jesus watching my response today and just sighing and facepalming for a moment, but then resolving that I’ll do better next time. And isn’t that great? That we have a Savior that doesn’t just write us off when we not only screw up once, but continually screw up over and over again? He keeps trying to herd us in the right direction.
    Like anything else, with Jesus, I can do better. I’m not saying we should be fake, phony or insincere. But remembering that we represent the Ultimate Role Model can help us to remember in certain situations to take a deep breath before we react, and change course to exude kindness, forgiveness, and patience. As the song goes, “All my hope is in Jesus.” Those WWJD bracelets that we wore back in the late 90’s were more than just a fashion accessory. It’s something we really should consider in every day life. Perhaps it’s time for me to dig up a vintage one (The first one I had was UNC blue because Justin Timberlake was a fan. Did I just really age myself? Oof) and start wearing it as a reminder. I'm also gonna pray for that guy today. Maybe he's just a jerk, maybe he's having a rough week. Either way, that's how I should have responded in the first place and how sweet of a non-diss is that? "Sir, I'm going to pray for you tonight. God bless you." (mic drop)

Comments